Dogs of Toronto

I love dogs. I love data. I recently found an Excel file in the City of Toronto's Open Data Library that contains the number of pet licences per 3-digit postal code in 2013. Naturally, I wanted to SEE what the data looked like. The following three maps explore different dimensions of this dataset. First I explored the number of dogs per household, then the number of dogs per square kilometre of residential land, and finally the ratio of dogs to cats in each 3-digit postal code.










Overall, there are approximately 55,000 dogs and 25,000 cats registered in Toronto. It is important to note that not all pets are properly licenced, so these data may not be fully representative. In particular, cats may be under-represented due to lower licensing rates. For more open data exploration about pets, be sure to visit my previous post about the Dogs of Vancouver and don't hesitate to let me know if you have any questions!